Disaster Resources for Public Lands Ranchers

The Public Lands Council is committed to supporting ranchers and ensuring grazing activities continue safely and securely on public lands amid natural disasters like wildfire and drought.

If you know of any resources not listed below, please contact us. We are here to help!

Federal Disaster Assistance

The Livestock Forage Disaster Program (LFP) provides payments to eligible livestock producers who have suffered a loss of grazed forage due to a qualifying drought for the normal grazing period for the county.

To be eligible, one must be a livestock producer who owns or leases grazing land or pastureland physically located in a county rated by the U.S. Drought Monitor as having a drought declaration.

Eligible livestock producers must provide a completed application for payment and required supporting documentation to their local FSA office within 30 calendar days after the end of the calendar year in which the grazing loss occurred.

The Livestock Indemnity Program (LIP) provides benefits to eligible livestock producers for livestock deaths in excess of normal mortality caused by eligible loss conditions, including drought and wildfire. In addition, LIP provides assistance to eligible livestock owners that must sell livestock at a reduced price because of an injury from an eligible loss condition.

To be eligible, one must have legally owned the livestock on the day the livestock died and/or were injured by an eligible loss condition.

The final date to file notice of loss to a local FSA office is 30 calendar days after the loss is first apparent to the participant. The final date to submit an application for payment is 60 days after the calendar year in which the eligible loss condition occurred.

The Emergency Assistance for Livestock Program (ELAP) provides financial assistance to eligible livestock producers for losses due to certain adverse weather events or loss conditions, including drought and wildfires.

ELAP assistance is provided for losses not covered by other disaster assistance programs such as the Livestock Forage Disaster Program (LFP) and the Livestock Indemnity Program (LIP).

The final date to file notice of loss to a local FSA office is 30 calendar days after the loss is first apparent to the participant. The final date to submit an application for payment is January 30 after the program year in which the loss occurred.

USDA FSA provides emergency loans to help producers recover from production and physical losses due to natural disasters, including drought and wildfires.

Loans may be made to producers who own or operate land located in a county (or contiguous county) declared as a primary disaster area by the Secretary of Agriculture, have sufficient farming or ranching experience, and have suffered a physical loss of livestock.

Applications for emergency loans must be received within eight months of the county’s disaster designation date.

The Disaster Set-Aside Program (DSA) considers a set-aside of one payment to allow an operation to continue when FSA borrowers located in designated disaster areas, or contiguous (adjoining) counties are unable to make their scheduled payment on any FSA debt.

The first time in a calendar year that a county in which a borrower farms, or a contiguous county, is designated as a disaster area by the President or Secretary of Agriculture, farmers indebted to FSA will be notified of the availability of the DSA, or they may inquire about eligibility at their local FSA office.

Borrowers must apply within eight months from the date of disaster designation.

The Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) Haying and Grazing program authorizes CRP acres for emergency haying and grazing to provide relief to livestock producers in areas affected by a severe drought or wildfire.

Emergency haying and grazing status is reviewed and authorized each Thursday using the U.S. Drought monitor. Counties are approved for emergency haying and grazing due to drought conditions on a county-by-county basis, when a county is designated as level “D2 Drought – Severe” according to the U.S. Drought Monitor.

Requests for emergency haying and grazing for a county may also be initiated by the FSA County Committee due to a livestock emergency. The request must document a 40 percent or greater loss of forage production due to the disaster event.

The Emergency Conservation Program (ECP) helps farmers and ranchers repair damage to farmlands caused by natural disasters and put water conservation methods in place during severe drought by providing funding and assistance.

FSA county committees determine land eligibility based on on-site inspections of damaged land and the type and extent of damage.

Producers should report to their local FSA office as soon as possible to request assistance (immediate restoration only applies to emergency situations such as putting up fencing to confine livestock).

The SBA provides disaster assistance in the form of low interest loans to operations located in regions affected by declared disasters.

An operation must be in an SBA declared disaster area to be eligible for SBA disaster assistance.

Operations can apply online at disasterloanassistance.sba.gov


State Disaster Assistance


The Arizona Cattle Growers’ Association is raising funds for those producers affected by the Telegraph fire and other wildfires. Please contact ACGA for more information.

Flood, Drought, & Fire:

The Flood & Drought Response Fund is not a formal grant program, with established guidelines or timelines or applications. It is by design an as-needed program to react to circumstances and is administered by Kevin Houck and Megan Holcomb.

Anyone is eligible to apply.

There is no application. Anyone interested in receiving funds should contact Kevin Houck (for flood) or Megan Holcomb (for drought) for consideration. They will work with anyone who asks to determine if their request meets the intent of the funding source.

Please contact Megan Holcomb for drought assistance at 303-866-3441 x 3222


The Agricultural Emergency Drought Response Program provides up to $1 million annually, in the form of loans or grants, for emergency drought-related water augmentation purposes to Colorado’s agricultural water users.

Agricultural organizations located in areas where a disaster emergency has been proclaimed due to drought can apply.

Applicants must apply within three months after the end of any fiscal year during which a drought was declared.


The Colorado Cattlemen’s Association has begun to build their 2021 Hay & Feed contact list.

Click here to include your contact information and relevant details about the hay or feed you have available.

Click here to view contact information for those that have hay & feed available.

If you have additional questions, please contact the CCA Office at 303-431-6422 or info@coloradocattle.org.


The North Dakota Drought Disaster Water Supply Project Assistance Program provides the State Water Commission the ability to provide cost-share assistance to livestock producers with water supply shortages caused by drought.

To be eligible, a livestock producer (defined as one who produces livestock or operates a dairy farm, devotes the major portion of applicant’s time to activities of farming or ranching, and normally receives not less than 50 percent of the applicant’s annual gross income from farming and ranching) must be located in a county with a drought proclamation., and have been denied USDA FSA cost-share assistance.

There is not a specified application deadline.


The Oregon Cattlemen’s Association is seeking donations for its Wildfire Stewardship Fund to support producers who lost profit as a result of recent wildfires. The organization also is accepting supply donations, such as medical supplies for cattle, nutritional supplements and fence material. Grange Co-op has pledged to match up to $5,000 in relief funds donated by customers at any of their Oregon locations.

Donations can be made online at orcattle.com, or mailed to the association at 1320 Capitol St. NE, Suite 150, Salem, OR 97301.


The Washington Cattlemen’s Association has wildfire relief funds left over from 2020, ready to deploy and mobilize for Washington ranchers impacted by the wildfires this year.

Please contact Ashley at ahouse@wacattle.org for more information.


Other Resources

The Internet Hay Exchange is an online buying/selling site where anonymous producers can post hay available for purchase on a state-by-state basis.